7/27/2009

My Sister's Journey to the Aisle

Love is not the basis for getting married. Rather, love is a result of a good marriage.”

That was my resounding message to my sister Helen and his husband Chris on their wedding last July 26, 2009.



Getting married is just another turning point in life. This is a start of a new commitment to build a lifetime relationship. And, in doing so, a lot more is needed. I know my sister knew that before she take her first step to the aisle. I know she is very well prepared to grow love with Chris and live with him for the rest of her life, and beyond.

The Preparation

We had barely two months to prepare for the wedding, after Chris courageously declared sometime in May his intention to marry my sister.

I actually admired his guts when he went to Bicol alone to formalize his intentions and asked for our parents’ blessings. I’m sure that was also one of the reasons why my parents granted his wish that their wedding be held in Batangas. It was actually practical and easier for us since most of us are here in Manila.

I and my sister Malou voluntarily took charge of the giveaways, invitations, thank you cards and other wedding stuffs.

I experienced some kind of excitement in meeting the wedding singers, deciding for the elegant and special yet practical giveaways, conducting photo shoots, consulting an Adobe Photoshop expert for the tarpaulin final design and print, after office hours.

I was sincerely thankful that my manager granted my wish for a two-day leave. I was able to do the final touches of the wedding stuffs.

A Day before the Wedding

We left Manila for Brgy Caluangan Calaca, Batangas at 7 pm on July 25, Saturday. We had a smooth journey until Calaca proper. The real adventure began when we entered the pathway leading to Brgy Caluangan at 9 pm. It is two to three hours away from the Calaca town proper.

On ordinary days, single motorcycle is the only mode of public transportation which cost local folks Php80.00 per ride per person.

The pathway is so rigid, only one vehicle can pass through it at a time. It was dark and cold and still. I mysteriously cannot see the beautiful surrounds because of the darkness though I can smell the earth and nature.

Hermano Alim did not able to control himself and shouted out loud when our vehicle tilted because of an uneven ground.

Our driver occasionally buzzes the siren at every curve as if to say “makikiraan po” or “tabi tabi po.”

Our journey seemed unending. Everyone was asking “malapit na ba ?”

Edward Thomas – my nephew was behaved throughout the trip. The little boy was actually enjoying it. Hermano Alim was nearly losing his patience, asking for the nth time, “malapit na ba?” My cousin Avai busied himself texting his friends in Cavite. My two brothers and a friend were silent. Johny was asleep. My Tita and I talked occasionally. Ingks was silent and looked tired as she came from school before the trip, and it was their prelim exams.

I was trying to visualize the silhouette of the surrounds that we were passing through. There is no idle land there. There is a vast vegetation of corn, upland rice and vegetables everywhere.I can tell how diligent people there are.

The Reunion

Finally, we reached our destination. I was overjoyed upon seeing my family, Chris’s family – for the first time, and our Brod and Sis in SB. There was Kuya Thurtz whom I didn’t see for more than a decade. I really miss our symbolic handshakes and the way he touches my head making me feel a younger sister for a while – free of responsibilities.

The Wedding Day




Everybody was excited. My sister appointed me to take responsibility of the entourage’s formation. I also joined the group of their photographers, to take photo throughout the ceremony.

I was silently praying to God that He blesses my sister’s new journey. As if my prayers were answered, rain poured heavily right after they recited their “I do’s.” Then, the sun shone again when it was time for us to leave for the reception.


I was really amazed by Chris’ family’s wedding traditions, far different from ours. I was impressed how his family and relatives amazingly organized the reception, exerting all their efforts to make the occasion special.

I was able to have little chats with his siblings and relatives giving me a chance to know them.



I believe getting married is not only a union of two people. It is actually a union of two families or more. It is actually a union of different beliefs and traditions. It is the start of two people to grow in love.

With Chris, I believe that my sister is in good hands.

This post is finalist to the Philippine Blog Awards 2009: Top Ten Posts of the Year
PBA09o3nrpo3



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Having read this I thought it was extremely enlightening.
I appreciate you spending some time and energy to put this article together.
I once again find myself personally spending a lot of time both reading and leaving comments.
But so what, it was still worth it!
Here is my blog liquid nitrogen

<br><div align="center">Remembering Twelve Years</div></br>

Our mission is to remember. So for thirteen days, we remembered the story of our congregation on May 1 to 13, 2017. We remembered our r...